Changing Majors

Each year many students join our department from other majors and/or other campuses to learn about human services, early childhood education, human resources and family studies.  We are happy to work with you to see how the courses you have already taken fit into the degree requirements and how the majors can meet your career goals.


Current University of Delaware Students Looking to Change Majors

Current UD students looking to switch into a non-restricted major (see below) are highly encouraged to meet with an advisor before applying to the major.  For students looking to switch into one of our restricted majors, you’ll need to complete the advisement meeting and an application process and meet a minimum GPA based on your number of earned credits. To make an appointment, please call 302-831-6500.

Restricted Majors

Application Process Required

Non-Restricted Majors

Advisement Meeting Encouraged

Human Services: Clinical Services Human Services: Administration and Family Policy
Human Relations Administration Human Services: Community Based Social Entrepreneurship
Early Childhood Education Human Services: Early Childhood Development


Students Coming from the UD Associate in Arts Program

Students who are enrolled in the Associate in Arts program at the University of Delaware can transfer into the Human Services major and typically complete their BS degree in two more years. Information about transferring between the Associate in Arts program and the Human Services major can be found on the Advisement page of the Associate in Arts Program.  To make an appointment to discuss your course history with us, please call 302-831-6500.


Students Transferring from Delaware Technical Community College

Students who have attended Delaware Technical and Community College can also have many of their courses transferred into either the Human Services major or the Early Childhood Education major. This is referred by as the Connected Degree Programs between Del Tech and the University of Delaware. In the Connected Degree Programs, students start their coursework at Del Tech, and then transfer to the University of Delaware. Both the Human Services major and the Early Childhood Education major participate in the Connected Degree Programs. For further information, see the Registrar’s website.  To make an appointment to discuss your transition to the University of Delaware, please call 302-831-6500.


Students Transferring from Other Institutions

We are happy to review your course history and speak to you about our degree requirements even before you apply to the University of Delaware.  Please contact our main office at 302-831-6500 to arrange a discussion.


General Information about Changing into an HDFS Major

  • The number of students who can be accepted into the Department of Human Development and Family Sciences is limited by the current number of students in a particular major, course demands, availability of advisors/supervisors, and clinical placements.
  • Not all students meeting the minimum requirements are guaranteed admission.
  • The HDFS Undergraduate Program Committee reviews applications and, based on availability of space, admits students who show the most promise of successfully completing the degree. The principle criterion for selection is academic performance. If accepted, students must process the electronic change of major forms and once completed, are assigned to an academic advisor.
  • Given the recent demand for the department’s courses, non-majors may have difficulty accessing HDFS courses. Under no circumstances will a non-major be admitted to a “majors only” course. Students are encouraged to explore alternative majors, since enrollment in HDFS courses may not lead to admission into an HDFS major.
  • No credit by examination is available for HDFS courses. Transfer credits for HDFS 412, 413, 435, 449, and EDUC 400 are not accepted.