intimate relationships, maternal and child health, stigma, women's studies
Xueli Qiu is a Ph.D. student in the Human Development and Family Sciences program. She graduated with a master’s degree from Beijing Normal University. Since 2015, she has been committed to promoting gender equality and bringing attention to the empowerment of women and adolescents. Her research interests include gender-based violence, comprehensive sexuality education and sexual health and rights. She is also a young Chinese feminist activist. Her goals for the future are to bridge the worlds of academia and activism and to be a feminist scholar.
- Qiu, X. & Wang, X. (forthcoming). Performing Traditional and Modern: Qualitative Research of Young Beijing Women’s Experience of Transnational Intimate Relationships. East China University of Science and Technology Journal (Social Science Edition)
- Wang,X., Wen,H., & Qiu,X. (2018). How Resilient Youth Understand and Cope with Their Parents’ Divorce and Remarriage in Beijing (In Chinese). Society and Public Welfare, (09):66-75.
- Wang, X., Qiu,X. (2018). Against Sexual Harassment on Campus: The Global Trend and Local Reaction (In Chinese). People Rule of Law, (04):88-91.
- Qiu, X. (September 28-29, 2019). Chinese Children and Adolescent Sexuality Education. Penn China Education Summit. Philadelphia, PA. Oral Presentation.
- Qiu, X. & Wang, X. (October 27-28, 2018). Performing “Tradition” and “Modern”: Young Women’s Experience of Transnational Intimate Relationships in Beijing. Changes in Chinese Marriage and Family in the 40th Anniversary of Reform and Opening-up. Nanjing, China. Oral Presentation.
- Qiu, X. & Wang, X. (October 18-21, 2018). Performing “Tradition”: Young Women’s Experience of Transnational Intimate Relationships in Beijing. The 4th Lilin Sociology Youth Forum. Shanghai, China. Oral Presentation.
- Qiu, X., Lü, D. & Wang, X. (November 27-30, 2017). Outside the Besieged City: The Intimate Relationship Among Youths Who Hook Up in Beijing. The 9th Asia Pacific Conference for Reproductive and Sexual Health and Rights. Ha Long Bay, Vietnam. Poster Presentation.
- Qiu, X. & Wang, X. (July 3-5, 2017). Break the Imagination of West-China: Sex and Love of Transnational Relationship in Beijing. The 6th International Symposium on Chinese Sexuality. Harbin, China. Oral Presentation.
- Research Assistant, Peking University Health Science Center, China, 2018
- Research Assistant, School of Social Development and Public Policy, Beijing Normal University, China, 2015-2018
Honors and Awards
- First Prize Scholarship for the 2015-2016 Academic Year, Beijing Normal University
- Outstanding First Year Student Scholarship for the 2015-2016 Academic Year, Beijing Normal University
- National Scholarship, Ministry of Education of the People’s Republic of China
- M.A. Public Management, Beijing Normal University, 2018
- B.A. Sociology, Central South University, 2015