Early Childhood Education students participate in multiple field experiences throughout their four years in the program. These experiences supplement information discussed in classrooms, including instruction, curriculum planning and inclusive strategies.
- Freshman year: Observe children on the UD Children’s Campus.
- It is recommended that students attempt Praxis Core during their Freshman year.
- Sophomore year: A semester-long field experience in the Laboratory Preschool
- Sophomore and Junior year: Three semester-long placements with infants through children in early primary grades in early care and education centers and in public schools, for a total of 200 hours in the field prior to student teaching.
*Most or all of the placements will be in inclusive classrooms (i.e. those with typically developing children and some with identified special learning needs).
- Senior Year: Teacher Candidates will student teach for 12 weeks in the fall and 12 weeks in the spring, during which ECE majors are evaluated on the skills and dispositions necessary to become an early childhood educator or special educator.
- Candidates must also complete and successfully defend an electronic Mastery Portfolio demonstrating their understanding of and competency in the National Association for the Education of Young Children standards for initial licensure.
- Candidates must also successfully complete Praxis and other state testing requirements (For more information on state requirements see the Teacher Education site).
Please see the Office of Clinical Studies website for information about background and PPD clearances required for these placements.
|Required Coursework with Field Experiences|
|HDFS220||Three observations of infants and toddlers at the Early Learning Center. Recommended Freshman Year|
|HDFS221||Five observations of children at the Lab Preschool and the College School. Recommended Freshman Year|
|EDUC230||Observation of a cross section of special education classes. Recommended Freshman or Sophomore Year|
|HDFS224||Practicum experience with children in an early education setting. Experience with curriculum planning and guidance. Recommended Sophomore Year|
|HDFS431||Field-based experiences in a school, agency, or family setting with infants and toddlers. Recommended Sophomore or Junior Year|
|HDFS432||Field-based experiences in a school, agency, or family setting with children ages three to six. Recommended Junior Year|
|HDFS433||Field-based experiences in a school, agency or family setting with children, kindergarten through second grade. Recommended Junior Year|
|EDUC400||Two twelve-week student teaching placements. Fall and Spring Semesters Senior Year
*at least one in a special education or inclusive setting.
|Praxis Core and Praxis Content Tests|
|Required for Certification for…||Praxis Test||Computer Code||Required Score (DE)|
|To be Highly Qualified in Delaware for Elementary Certification||
Upon completion of all requirements for the ECE major, graduates of the program will be endorsed for certification in Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Special Education.
For additional information, please contact Dr. Lynn Worden (firstname.lastname@example.org).