Expected Graduation: 2018
- University Dissertation Fellowship
Specialization(s):Early Childhood Development, Early Childhood Education
Research Interest(s)Adult-child interactions, Language Development, Low-income families, Parenting
- Myae Han, Advisor
Juana Gaviria-Loaiza is a Ph.D. candidate with HDFS. She currently holds a dissertation fellowship from the University and is in the Job market. She has served as a graduate instructor for HDFS 270 Families and Developmental Disabilities, HDFS 470 Families and Children at Risk, and HDFS 201 Lifespan Development. Broadly her research interests in the field of early childhood education and development include caregiver-child interactions, language and literacy, play, parenting and teaching practices. Juana is originally from Medellin, Colombia, and has a specific interest in working with Hispanic children and families. In July 2016, Juana was selected to attend the first Statistical Teaching and Analytic Research Training workshop in Warsaw, Poland.
Maternal Psychosocial Factors and Child Directed Speech: Influences in Toddler’s Communication Abilities and Socioemotional Competence
- Research Assistant:
- Starting at Home: Incorporating a parent-child interaction intervention into Early Head Start home visiting (Delaware Institute for Excellence in Early Childhood)
- Reflectivity, agency and identity in early childhood educator professional development (UD Laboratory Preschool)
- Unlocking Doors for Enhancing Language and Literacy (UDELL). Early Reading First project
- Gaviria-Loaiza, Han, M., Vu, J., Hustedt, J. (2017). Children’s Response to Different Types of Teacher Involvement During Free Play. Journal of Childhood Studies,42(3), 4-19. doi:10.18357/jcs.v42i3.17890
- Han, M., Hallam, R., Hustdet, J., Vu, J, & Gaviria-Loaiza, (2016). Lessons from training Early Head Start staff to implement an Evidence-Based parenting Intervention, NHSA Dialogue: Research to Practice Journal. 19(3), 42-59.
- Han, M., Hallam, R., Hustdet, J., Vu, J, & Gaviria-Loaiza, J. (2016). Studying implementation process matters: Implementing an Evidence-Based Intervention in Early Head Start, NHSA Dialogue: Research to Practice Journal, 19(3), 99-103.
- Moinolmolki, N., Gaviria-Loaiza,, & Han, M. (2016). Immigrant families and early childcare programs: Addressing the new challenges of the 21st Century. In L. Cohen., & S. Waite-Stupiansky. (Eds.), Advances in Early Education and Day Care: Family Involvement in Early Education and Child Care, V.20
- Hustedt, J. Raver, C., Blair, C., Hallam, R., Vu, J. Gaviria-Loaiza, J., & Han, M. (April, 2017) Enhancing Early Head Start with Video-Based Parenting Interventions Delivered by Staff. In L. Berlin (Chair) Parenting Interventions in Early Head Start: Findings from New Models. Symposium conducted at the Annual meeting of the Society for Research in Child Development, Austin, Texas.
- Yei, A., Cuttler, L., Gilden, C., Xie, Y., Yun, Y., & Gaviria-Loaiza, J. (2017, March). Investigating the bidirectional relationship between home environment and student achievement: A cross-lagged longitudinal analysis. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, San Antonio, Texas.
- Han, M. & Gaviria-Loaiza, J. (July, 2016). Children’s Acceptance or Rejection of Teacher Talk during Free Play: Effect of Teacher Role and Function of Talk. Paper to be presented at the preconference of the annual meeting of the International Literacy Association, Boston, MA.
- Gaviria-Loaiza, J., Han, M., Vu, J., & Hustedt, J. (2016, April). Functions of teacher’s roles and types of language during play. Paper to be presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Washington, DC.
- Gaviria-Loaiza, J., Han, M., Vu, J., & Hustedt, J. (2016, April). Children’s responses towards teacher’s roles during free play time in preschool classrooms. Paper to be presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Washington, DC.
Honors & Awards:
- University Dissertation Fellows award, University of Delaware, 2017
- Amy Rextrew Graduate Student Award, University of Delaware, 2016
- AERA Early Education and Child Development SIG Student Travel Award, 2016
- Strattner-Gregory Child Advocacy Award, University of Delaware, 2014;
- COLFUTURO Scholarship, 2012;
- Graduated with Highest Honor from Universidad CES, Medellin Colombia, December 2011.
- M.S. Human Development and Family Studies, University of Delaware, 2015
- B.A. Psychology, Universidad CES, Medellin, Colombia, 2011