Expected Graduation: 2017
Specialization(s):Early Childhood Development, Early Childhood Education
Research Interest(s)Adult-child interactions, Language Development, Low-income families, Parenting
- Myae Han
Juana Gaviria-Loaiza is a Ph.D. student with HDFS. She currently serves as a graduate instructor for HDFS 270 and HDFS 470. Her research interests in the field of early childhood education include literacy, play, and development. Juana is originally from Medellin, Colombia, and has a specific interest in working with Hispanic children and families. In July 2016, Juana was selected to attend the first Statistical Teaching and Analytic Research Training workshop in Warsaw, Poland.
- “Unlocking Doors for Enhancing Language and Literacy (UDELL)”. Responsibilities included data collection and data entry, tutoring children in Head Start centers (story book reading and play), working with English Language Learners, translating material from English to Spanish.
- “Starting at Home: Incorporating a parent-child interaction intervention into Early Head Start home visiting.” Responsibilities include recruiting and consenting participants, data collection (e.g., BDI, three bags, spit sample) with Hispanic families, data analysis, helping writing papers, attending team meetings, and translating interviews and other data.
- Role of after school coordinator Laboratory preschool (August 2013-May 2014). Responsibilities included planning and running the after school program for children 4-7 years old.
- Moinolmolki, N., Gaviria, J., & Han, M. (2014). Early literacy: What about families?, NCFR Report Magazine. Available from NCFR.
- Gaviria, J., Barrera, M, & Calderon, L. (2014). Is Neurofeedback training effective as treatment for ADHD? Results from a systematic review of empirical studies in children and Adolescents. [In Spanish] Colombia Revista Ces De Psicología, 7, 16-34.
- Gaviria-Loaiza, J., Han, M., Vu, J., & Hustedt, J. (2016, April). Functions of teacher’s roles and types of language during play. Paper to be presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Washington, DC.
- Gaviria-Loaiza, J., Han, M., Vu, J., & Hustedt, J. (2016, April). Children’s responses towards teacher’s roles during free play time in preschool classrooms. Paper to be presented at the annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Washington, DC.
- Gaviria-Loaiza, J. (2015, June). Relationship between teachers roles and children’s responses during play. Presented at the 2015 Cross-University Collaborative Mentoring Conference, Philadelphia, PA.
Honors & Awards:
- Amy Rextrew Graduate Student Award, University of Delaware, 2016
- AERA Early Education and Child Development SIG Student Travel Award, 2016
- Strattner-Gregory Child Advocacy Award, University of Delaware, 2014;
- COLFUTURO Scholarship, 2012;
- Graduated with Highest Honor from Universidad CES, Medellin Colombia, December 2011.
- M.S. Human Development and Family Studies, University of Delaware, 2015
- B.A. Psychology, Universidad CES, Medellin, Colombia, 2011