Human Service Majors
Information and resources for current Human Services majors.
- Human Services Student Handbook
- Answers to Common Academic Advisement Questions
- HDFS Advisement Center Guides
- Instructions for Restricted Electives – please complete the form in the Advisement Center
- Internship Database – password protected
- Handbook for 50-hour Interns and Site Supervisors
- Handbook for 400-hour Interns and Site Supervisors
Planning Guides by Concentration and Catalog Year
|Administration and Family Policy|
|Community Education Concentration|
|Family & Consumer Sciences Education|
|Family & Consumer Sciences Apparel Studies|
Field Experiences and Internships:
Human Services majors complete at least one field experience or internship placements, gaining valuable work experience in their related fields of interest. These internships provide our students real-world experience and can lead to employment after graduation.
Examples of recent placement agencies:
- Delaware Center for Justice
- Special Olympics of Delaware
- Rockford Center (mental health facility)
- Alfred. I. duPont Hospital for Children
- Planned Parenthood of Delaware
HDFS334 Experiential Education: 50 hour internship in a human services agency.
HDFS449 Human Services Senior Internship: 400 hour placement at a nearby agency. This placement is only completed by students with a concentration in Clinical Services.
The department Internship Database (password protected) includes a list of potential placement sites for HDFS students.
Faculty Contact: Staff Contact:
Human Service Majors have recently gone onto work in a variety of positions, including:
- Social Worker with the State of Delaware
- Case Manager with Delaware Guidance Services
- Child & Family Center Advocate with the Health Center of Philly
- Independent Living Counselor with the North East Treatment Center
- Coordinator of Youth and School Initiatives with Delaware Special Olympics, Inc.
- Probation Officer with the Department of Corrections
- Social Worker with the Rockford Center
- Service Learning Coordinator with Earth Force
- Admissions Counselor with the University of Maryland
The majority of students pursue a diverse range of graduate programs including counseling, psychology, public policy, social work, law, human development and family sciences and related professions. You can review the HDFS Advisement Center Guide to Grad School and Career Planning for helpful tips.
The University of Delaware has partnered with Thomas Jefferson University to create a pathway for Human Services students interested in pursuing a Master’s in Couple and Family Therapy.
“I am currently enrolled in a graduate program at Boston College. On my first day of class, I quickly realized that my undergraduate education more than prepared me for graduate school. While most of the material was a review for me, I noticed that, for most of my new peers, it was completely new information. I thought, wow, here I am in a top 10 master’s program and I am starting out ahead of everyone else due to the education I received at UD. Read more…“ – Allison Constant, 2011, discussing how HDFS prepared her for graduate school.